Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thank you music

It is November, so I started listening to Christmas music, yesterday. Norah and I were loving it. We were listening to the song, "Mary did you know?" Although I've heard it before, I was so touched by the lyrics:

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know that your Baby Boy
Has come to make you new;
This Child that you delivered
Will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know that your Baby Boy
Has walked where Angels trod?
When you kiss your Little Baby,
You kiss the Face of God!

Oh, Mary, did you know?
Oh, Mary, did you know?

The blind will see, the deaf will hear,
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak
The praises of the lamb!

Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know that your Baby Boy
Will one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your Baby Boy
Is Heaven's Perfect Lamb?
This sleeping Child you're holding
Is the Great I Am!

Mary knew that the baby she carried was of God, as an angel revealed to her. However, I don't think she really had an understanding, in its entirety, what her Son would do for literally all mankind.

Listening to the song made me think of my baby boy and his unknown potential. I do not mean to compare him to our Savior and his incredible purpose. I do however, mean to compare the element of unknown. While pregnant, we have no idea who this little being will be nor what he is capable of. I am so excited to watch the development of my little boy, as I've watched the development as little Norah. I love the daily developments that are creating the foundation for who these children will be. Being a mother is one of the greatest gifts I've had in my life. I feel like I am starting to understand the purpose of the eternities as I experience motherhood. What an incredibly eye-opening experience.

1 comment:

  1. My sister-in-law sang this for us the Christmas right after I had Jude - he was about a month and a half old. I sat there, with Jude in my arms, tears just streaming down my face. It is actually one of my very most favorite moments of all time. I so agree with you - having a child has opened my eyes and taught me so much about God! Especially of Christ's purity and love. Thanks for sharing :) And for reminding me that we all have potential and are special in the eyes of God. Love you, Em.

    ReplyDelete