Monday, November 7, 2011

To shot or not to shot

Since Norah was born, I have struggled, every Doctor's appointment, to give her the large amount of vaccines recommended by Doctors. We have not had any severe adverse reactions to vaccines. She has had some very minor ones, but nothing too worrisome. I felt however, frustrated with myself that I was allowing her to be vaccinated with dozens of different vaccines, while I stayed greatly uneducated about side-effects, possible severe adverse reactions and also the positive side of vaccines. So I recently have been trying to educate myself on vaccines, particularly before little boy comes. Now I have to be open and honest. I am not anti-vaccines. I am not pro-vaccines. Where I stand at this point, is pro-choice for the administration of my child's vaccines. I want to decide which vaccines my children receive and when they receive them. I believe strongly that our children receive too many vaccines at a time. I have yet to decide if I believe they should receive less, or not. The bottom line is that I feel uncomfortable with my lack of understanding and knowledge when it comes to vaccines. I have a feeling that I am not the only one of us, my friends, to feel that way. So, I wanted to share with you two resources that have been helpful recently, in my study:
-This is a link to a video that is (for the moment) free to view. I don't know how long that will be the case, so if you are interested, I'd jump on it. http://vimeo.com/31036452
As I watch the video, I feel it is for the most part, anti-vaccine or anti-some vaccines. So, be forewarned. However, it has opened my eyes and given me some information, I may not have otherwise received.
-I also have been reading a book, which I really like. It is called the Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert W. Sears. It is NOT an anti-vaccine book. Dr. Sears is in fact, a pediatrician who vaccinates his own children, but explains vaccines in more detail. He breaks down each vaccine, their components, potential adverse reactions, and the pros and cons of getting the vaccine. It has been VERY helpful in my learning process.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to any of you with my same feelings. I would also be so grateful if you would pass on to me, any information or research you have done on vaccinations: the importance of and potential hazards of. Thanks!!!
love,
em

1 comment:

  1. I personally haven't researched this area at all because I am satisfied with my husband's opinion on this matter. He has been highly educated on vaccines, and we would never consider not vaccinating Callum. I'm sure vaccines and vaccine schedules are not perfect, but since both were designed and approved by experts in the areas of drugs and children's medicine I feel pretty confident trusting the recommendations of those experts over my own opinions or the opinions of others. That's my input. Love you! Good luck in your search!

    ReplyDelete