Saturday, October 29, 2011

Don't rush

Today I was reading about the birthing process. The thoughts of the woman writing seemed focused on allowing the body's natural process to take its time. The points she made were all seemingly self-explanatory, but contrary to the things I experienced by the doctors while birthing Norah. I was particularly naive and unassertive during her labor, resulting in some actions by the health caretakers that I do not care to let be repeated. The point of my thoughts is not to discuss Norah's birth, rather to express a concept that I believe can be detrimental to my life decisions and spiritual progression.
We often rush life's natural course out of convenience or discomfort. Can more be accomplished when actions are quicker? Absolutely, however it is often in our haste that we lose our opportunity for the greatest potential growth or life-altering decisions. We may have taken the speedway, but how much did we learn? What would have happened had the Lord told/shown the brother of Jared how to have light on their boats? What lessons would have been lost in the time saved? What would happen if I dressed Norah everyday, instead of letting her struggle with her pants, socks and shoes? Quicker is not always better.
The moral to my thoughts is: I don't want to rush. The lesson is in the struggle, the process and the time. I hope to remember that.

3 comments:

  1. 'it is not meet that my servants be speedily traveling on the waters whilst the inhabitants of the earth perish on either side'. That is obviously a paraphrase, but your thought brings this to my mind and definitely rings true. How much easier would life be if we do everything ourselves and never delegate? How much learning and experience would be lost?

    Sorry you didn't have the greatest birth experience. Not to expose my ignorance of what is going on with your family, but are you reading birth books for any particular reason? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lest that last comment seem idiotic, what I mean to ask is: how are you feeling? Any day now, right?

    ReplyDelete