Wednesday, October 19, 2011

1 year



It has been one year since my Dad passed away. In some ways it has been the longest year of my life. In others, it has been a short blur. The best way to sum up my year is as follows: The first part of the year I mourned the absence of my Daddy; the second part of the year I mourned the loss of memory of my Daddy. The first statement is pretty self-explanatory. He was a giant in my life- a man I would call upon when I had doubts, questions or just to talk. When someone like that dies, there is a void in your life that feels like it will never be filled. The second part of the statement is my fault: "I mourned the loss of the memory of my Daddy." My dad was a man of records. He has journals, thought books, cds, talks and published books; all resources I could go to when I forget the sound of his voice, his inflections or even some of his often-shared quotes. However, I often found this painful in my grieving process, particularly to listen to his voice. It seemed to accentuate the pain of his absence and remind me of the fact that I couldn't talk to him. I hope to soon overcome this, as I yearn to hear him.
Amidst the pain, has come much growth. I've grown even closer to my best friend, Brian. He has wiped away tears that felt bottomless and often out of the blue. He's listened to my worries and pains with willing ears and and understanding heart. He's shared similar pains with me and it has brought us closer. I've grown closer to God and my appreciation for His great and flawless Plan has exponentially increased. I gained a greater appreciation for our time on earth and an understanding that it is short and fleeting. I've gained more compassion and understanding for friends who have also felt great losses in their lives. I have also gained strength from their examples.
This last weekend, I was in California with several of my siblings, celebrating Daddy's return to Heaven day (as named by the Jaggis). The week prior to the 15th was a rough week. I kept reliving (through dream a waking thought) the day of his passing and the night following. I worried what the 15th would be like. Well Norah, it was beautiful. It was full of thought and feeling of my Daddy. Liz and Mike hosted an art exhibit, featuring some of their works inspired by my dad, his life and his writings. It was a beautiful way to celebrate him and feel close to him. It was perhaps, a break through for me and my struggle in hearing his voice and reading his words. At the end of the night, we let go white balloons (a tradition started by the Jaggi's at their son Stewart's funeral and also done at my Dad's funeral.) We laughed when we remembered my Dad's comment, watching the balloons fly away at Stewart's funeral: "Look at those little sperms flying away." As I watched the white balloons fly on their black sky canvas, I had to chuckle that we were sending the balloons to him in Heaven when we know that the Spirit World is here, upon the earth. That chuckle however, turned into a re-realization (pretend that's a word): My Dad is close. I don't feel him everyday, or as often as I'd like, but he is close. The Spirit World is all around us. That is so comforting to me.
So, here is to another year, without my Daddy, but hopefully full of much growth. I want to listen to your voice this year Daddy, I want to continue to feel for you and see the unseen.

5 comments:

  1. Emily, thanks for posting this. I have missed him so much and think of him often. I was reading some articles posted a year ago about his life and accomplishments in public service. I try to remember everything he taught me. My heart and soul still ache for him, but sometimes I think I can feel him with me! Emmanuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily! I'm so glad I get to read your blog now! Thanks for this post... I'm so sorry for your loss. You might have already known this, but I lost my mom in January and I completely know how it feels. Crying at random, longing for their voice or just to TALK to them. It is so hard. That's so great that you were able to go to California for the 1 year mark. What a special way to celebrate!! Excited to read yours and Norah's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you can put all of this into words because many people can't, including myself. I feel things that deep but then I go to write about them and all I write is "I am sad." Grateful for talented friends such as yourself that can express the way they feel and think. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I loved reading your heart. You are beautiful and eloquent. So glad we can share in this journey of healing together. Thank you again for making sacrifices to be at the Art Show and keeping me fed :). It was dreamy to have you here. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't crazy how time works? Sometimes minutes can feel like weeks and yet weeks can pass like minutes. Though reading your post brings a tear to my eye, it also makes me happy. It makes me happy to know that my Heavenly Father cares about my friends and blesses them even through struggles...it reminds me that He knows how to take care of His children. I too know your dad is close and is still aware of you and your family. What a blessing that is to know, especially in our times of sorrow. And if I could see your dad again, I'd thank him for helping to raise such a wonderful daughter...but I think he already knows. :) You're a wonderful example and friend, love ya!

    ReplyDelete